Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Chapter 9 Nonfiction

When I think about nonfiction I normally think of biographies and journals. I never knew that reference books such as dictoinaries and encyclopedias, were considered nonfiction I thought they were in a category by themselves.

All types of nonfiction texts can be helpful in teaching social studies and sciene. I found a website on an author named April Pulley Sayre who has written over fifty natural history books for children and adults. http://www.aprilsayre.com/ On her site there are links that offer storytime plans that help ideas of how to incorporate some of her nonfiction books into teaching social studies.

I also found a website for John Malam http://www.johnmalam.co.uk/ where it has a link to help explain to children how a nonfiction book is made and all the jobs and responsibilities people have to create the book.
Through the site you can also arrange school visits and John Malam offers workshops where older kids in grades 5-9 can make nonfiction books themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment